Mummy Stuff - Heading back to work after baby



Today was my first day back at work after having Miss M, and after being off for around 8 months. I cried a little when I left her this morning, and missed her most of the day! 

I love being a stay-at-home mum, but to be completely honest, I miss working for a few reasons:
 - I love teaching, and working with teenagers
 - I missed using my brain in a different way - to plan lessons, and problem-solve in the classroom (don't get me wrong - I use my brain in other ways while at home! My brain is on overdrive most of the time!)
 - I love the social interaction with other teachers, and as I attended the school I am at and have been teaching there on and off for 3 years, I had developed some great friendships
 - I miss the money! I have been very blessed to have received maternity leave, and with a tight budget we can live off my husband's wage, however I really enjoy having a bit of money just for myself

I will be doing 1-2 days per week, depending on when I get called for casual days. This enables me to still be at home most of the week with Miss M. As Brendan's shifts are mainly at night or on the weekend, he is home most days, and is happy to look after Miss M while I teach. My mum doesn't work on Thursdays or Fridays and she is excited to look after Miss M then. It was important to me to only return to work if I felt comfortable with the people I left her with. This is purely my decision for me at this moment, and I think that day cares are wonderful, but of course there is that added cost as well. You need to do what works for you and your baby, and that will be different for everyone. 

A little bit of extra preparation went into going back to work. In NSW, when you have a break from teaching you have to let the Institute of Teachers know, and they allow you to have a leave of absence. When you return, you have to pay a fee of $100. I also had to begin my union payments again. Each year, it is compulsory to do an online anaphylaxis course, and very soon it will be mandatory to complete an online CPR course and a disability in education course. I also have to redo my working with children check. 

Once that was all done, I typed up Miss M's normal schedule, i.e. when to feed her, put her down to sleep etc, as Brendan hasn't been with her for a whole day on his own yet. I prepared some pureed pumpkin for her, and left a bottle of expressed breastmilk. 

I made up a batch of spinach, feta, corn and sundried tomato muffins to take with me for lunch, which are delicious. You can find the recipe here. It felt odd to pack my lunch again! I also made up a tub of stationery and teaching supplies to take with me. 

I had an excellent first day back, with just one hurdle! Miss M has never taken a bottle of expressed breastmilk off me (except for the first week in the hospital), but she has taken it off my husband and my mum before. I was counting on her being hungry enough, and with me being out of the house, for her to take the bottle. It didn't happen! Luckily I had 3rd period off and was able to drive back home to feed her. Of course I can't always guarantee to have a period off, and this is something we now have to work out! I am very happy to be back though, it actually felt like I hadn't left! 


No comments

Powered by Blogger.